Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Day 15: Pancakes

Seeing that I'm going to try to add and subtract things from my life on this quest to a healthier life, I should subtract something this week. So no snacking between scheduled meals and snacks.

None of this taking a slice of cheese here, a few nuts there, or chocolate anytime, anyplace. It will be difficult with chocolate because this means that I have to eat it with a meal or scheduled snack. No sneaking it on the sly and eating chewing gum after to hide the smell. (Hmm, what kind of person does that sound like.) Of course now that I've come to this decision and should start today it is only 9.25 and my tummy is grumbling, which it very seldom does. Maybe I'll have to start having a mid-morning snack, which I very seldom do.

Yesterday, because my SS had a stressful evening, I decided to make pancakes, which I don't do very often because I can't be bothered to stand in front of the frying pan for that long. (Oh yeah, I just realized that I hadn't told him why I made them.) I wanted them to be a bit healthy and we hadn't had our fruit for the day (don't worry I'm planning to add more fruit to our diet when I get around to it and find enough fruits that are edible).

I tend to gather a few (well maybe 10, or 20) cookbooks and/or recipes from the internet and tweak them so I end up with a recipe I'll make. I often have to change them because they include ingredients that I can't get here or they have stuff that I don't eat (like onions) or don't want to eat (like added salt) or we don't need to eat (like 3 cups of sugar). But yesterday I was lazy so I just googled blueberry buttermilk oatmeal pancakes and basically just used the first recipe I got. OK without the salt, sugar, butter (I used oil – couldn't be bothered to melt the butter) or blueberries. I used black currents instead of the blueberries. Not a good choice, but I'm trying to get rid of last year's stash. Word to the wise – consider very carefully how many black currants you will want to eat when someone tells you that you can pick them all because their freezer is broken.

No comments: