Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dahl and Macaroni Salad

Last week's vegetarian dish was a dahl. I got the main recipe from Thimble's Blog but because we don't eat onions or garlic nor did I have the spices, I changed it.

Coconut Dahl

2.5 dl orange lentils

5 dl water

½ curry

dash pepper

½ tsp ginger powder

1.25 dl coconut

2.5 tbsp yogurt

Cook lentils according to package instructions. Add curry, pepper, ginger, coconut and yogurt and heat through. Serve over rice.


I bought something today that I've never bought before. Fresh ginger. I wasn't even sure how it tasted so I was a bit weary about using much of it. I googled fresh ginger and found out it can be frozen, so I cut it up into pieces and froze the rest. I also read that it is possible to put it through a garlic press which sort of worked.


Today's vegetarian meal was what we call a macaroni salad. I use either a tin of kidney beans or chickpeas. I tried a new dressing on top. I usually just mix some oil, honey, orange juice, dried dill, paprika and curry together.


Apple Salad Dressing

1 apple, cored, seeded and chopped small

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp sesame seeds

¼ tsp dried dill

dash chili powder

½ tsp curry powder

small piece of fresh ginger, grated

¾ dl olive oil


Puree until smooth


Macaroni Salad

1 tin of kidney beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1-2 carrots, diced small

cucumber, diced

red pepper, chopped

(celery, chopped)

1-2 tomatoes, chopped


Mix well with dressing.



Chipless: 1 year 9 days

Candyless days: 9

Chocolatefree Mondays: 17

Chocolatefree Fridays: 8

No comments: