Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Day 37: Rhubarb

Nobody else in our apartment building seems to use the rhubarb that is growing in the backyard, so I've decided to use it all up (not that there is too much of it). I made rhubarb mead for the first time. Usually we make our mead with lemons and oranges but a friend, who has a citrus allergy in the family, mentioned that she makes hers with rhubarb, so I thought I'd try it. Unfortunately when I added the brown sugar the lovely pink color disappeared. If it is any good I'll try using less (or no) brown sugar. We still have to wait some days before we can try it.

Then I decided to stew some rhubarb but, as in my usual fashion, I was careless. I left it on high and this was the result. (This is just water in the pot, so the burnt bottom can soak.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there... Just wanted to drop in and let you know that I like your blog! And good on ya for not giving in to the chips so far! I know how hard it is... They're so bloody addictive, aren't they?

It sounds like you're doing great though. Best of luck for your journey!