Saturday, July 15, 2006

Day 68: Experiments

I finally bought some spelt flour. I have been wanting/waiting to try it. I made some carrot bread in my bread machine but I only used 1.5 dl of spelt because I haven't used the machine for so long and I wasn't sure how it would work. And even though the breadpan fit and looked the same as the original, who knows what could have happened. The bread turned out great, but, as you can see in the picture, the crust was quite crummy. I stopped the machine 4 minutes earlier, but I'll have to experiment how much earlier I need to stop it. We didn't notice the taste of the spelt or the carrot for that matter.

I made some homemade margarine (1 part butter, 1 part oil and 1 part water). It was edible but I don't know how versatile it is. I also tried to make a homemade cheese spread (the one with the knife) from quark. I think it is too dilly and SS thinks it tastes too much like quark. I will keep experimenting with it.

No comments: