Thursday, July 13, 2006

Day 66: Strawberry Jam

I can't even remember if I went to the market last year but a friend was going to buy strawberries and I asked if I could go with. I thought that if I bought a box it would be much easier to bring them home by her car rather than on the back of my bike. I ended up buying a 5 kilo box.

We aren't big jam eaters. A jar can easily be in the fridge until the best before date has long gone. I had planned to just cut up what we didn't eat and put them in the freezer. But I had a bag of jam sugar that I didn't use last year when I was going to make black currant jam (which we eat on our peanut butter sandwiches). I wouldn't have made that either but the owner of the bushes didn't want the berries to go to waste because her freezer was broken and the berries were ripe.

Anyway I decided to make some jam. Only half of the recipe (1 kilo of berries) because I didn't know how it would turn out or if we would like it or eat it. And look what I got. It was still quite liquidy at this stage but after being in the fridge overnight it thicken up well and tastes great. Next year I will consider making the whole recipe if the jam survives being in the freezer.

No comments: